To God's Beloved At Cloverdale Baptist Church:
It is good to know that God is Sovereign.
This week I had a chat with someone who believes that the COVID situation is a conspiracy, and the world is seeking to take control of people. This is not what I believe, although I am not an expert on such things, however I do believe that God has a plan, and it is good, and He is Sovereign.
So, what are some good things that we can look for and find in what has been a horrific year? I can tell you a number of things I have HATED...but let us be those who look for the grace of God together in this. He is Sovereign and Good and All Wise.
1. A new passion for the meeting together of God's people. What used to be something we approached as a Canadian church apathetically, now is a passion. In our own family, people that used to skip for months for sports, now long for us to be normal for one Sunday, people that work on Sunday's passionate about the church, and last week numerous emails from people weeping with joy that we get to gather again, even in a limited way.
I think as never before in my ministry life I see in God's people a hunger to gather, to be together, to function as a church in a healthy way.
2. A renewed focus on Jesus. One member stated that this time has changed their life, and freed them from addictions. Others have shared that they are much more engaged in active encouragement of people. We have seen people all over Canada/world who have come to know Jesus through our services, and the invitations of God's people.
3. Unity: I know this is not across the board, and some have left our church over Covid and how the church (elders and members) have handled this, but for the most part God's people at CBC are giving, and growing. We are persevering through what is very difficult. I know that hardships display what is going on in the heart, and I agree with many who say that the current situation (if you haven't suffered personally from COVID) is more like an inconvenience than a hardship...but it still displays the heart. I am thankful that God and His grace dominate the thinking and feeling of God's people at CBC. I rejoice in your partnership in the Gospel!
4. Servants: There have been many new challenges during COVID, and our servants work with joy to seek God's glory with us. It has meant for many, not being at church with their families, working extra hours, and working outside of their comfort zone. I want to especially thank Jeff, who literally came on as COVID began, and has led us so effectively in the midst of his own chaotic schedule to exalt our King together. If I started to list all of the others, I am sure I would miss many, so suffice it to say, I am thankful for so many PARTNERS IN THE GOSPEL AT CBC.
5. It has reminded us that earth is not our home. It is so easy when life is convenient to not be focused on Jesus, and forget to share the Gospel. Many have found this time uncomfortable (ME), and it has been a very healthy reminder of eternity and mission.
I am sure there are many other good things that God has brought through this time, notice them, and SHARE THEM with one another. One of the ways we encourage one another is to notice how God is at work, and talk about it. Invite 1, and Encourage 3...and share the Gospel this week with someone you have been praying for. ENGAGE! And you will be encouraged, God's Kingdom built, and others will persevere because of you!
Sign Up & Join Us: Make sure to sign up for one of the four zones that we are opening, and join us in exalting the King. If you don't get in, if you are up to it, have someone from the family into your home (as allowed by PHO), and we can continue to grow house churches during this time. Remind us to pray for the persecuted church and rejoice in our own freedom here, and perhaps prepare us for what might be coming. We ask if you come one week, that you wait until Thursday to sign up again. God willing, we will have a much more open church VERY SOON. Keep praying for that!
Church Gardening (and Fellowship) day
We have a great church property with lots of green space. We pay someone to mow the grass but the gardens have always been cared for by volunteer labour. Most of this comes as individuals see the need and are inspired to clean this up. For the last year, no one has been seeing the need and the church gardens are showing it.
We will be gathering for a concerted effort to clean up the gardens on Saturday June 12th from 10am to 1pm. We will have to observe basic PHO health guidance so we will work in groups of no more than 10 people in different parts of the property and stay 6 feet apart. Masks are optional!
This is your chance to gather with God’s people in a safe manner outside, and provide an act of service to the church body.
All you need is a willingness to serve and be able to stretch/bend a little. Please bring your own tools as sharing of tools will not be possible. A few extra tools will be available for those that simply don’t have access to any. Yard waste generated will be removed by our contractor.
Take this chance to get together with some friends from within the church and make a section of the garden your pet project for the day! No signup needed, just turn up on the day. Even if you can only come for 1 hour it would be appreciated.
If the weather is poor an email blast will be sent out on the Friday night to confirm or cancel.
If you have any questions please contact Murray Isaac or Yuriy Kostritsyn.
Sunday Is Coming:
Prepare for this Sunday by focusing on your own relationship with Jesus and preparing for COMMUNION!
If you know of any broken relationships, seek to bring peace to them. If you have any unconfessed sin in your life, repent. If you are struggling in Jesus being your first love, recommit, and do it in the context of the GOSPEL...with freedom, joy and LOVE!
We want the Gospel to be the centre of our lives, as we seek to live in a relationship with Jesus that drives and defines us!
Covet your prayers as I take a week of holidays, and then teach a seminary course for Millar on the General Epistles.
I rejoice that I get to serve you at this time, for your good, guarding and growth!
Continued Call To Prayer:
Alistair Begg states, “Prayer is an acknowledgment that our need of God’s help is not partial but total… Yet many of our church prayer meetings have dwindled in size and influence. Ultimately, the explanation can be traced to spiritual warfare. If, as the hymn writer says, Satan trembles when he sees the weakest saint upon his knees, ” then we may be sure that he and his minions will be working hard to discredit the value of united prayer. The Evil One has scored a great victory in getting sincere believers to waver in their conviction that prayer is necessary and powerful.”
Please consider joining our corporate prayer meetings, and being a part of our prayer movement as a church this summer. If we join together in prayer, we will fight powerfully in unity and for success.
Many of you have asked how you can pray more specifically, and we are working on some solutions to that, but you can join our prayer chain ministry (confidentiality is essential) by contacting, prayerchain@
STAY INFORMED AND KEEP PRAYING Luke 18:1
Other Helpful Information
please check out our online bulletin that is updated every week:
Please help our search committee as they look for the man of God that will help us exalt His name in song and deepen our love for Him as we celebrate His greatness together. We long for God's man for the ministry, and would like this to be sooner than later (our timing), so please pray, and help us to pursue this patiently and in God's POWER! If you know of anyone...please share with them this amazing opportunity and have them apply!
Kids ministry is seeking to serve you, and help in discipling our children and families even though we are not gathering physically. Please take advantage of this, and continue to make church a priority that your children can see and taste!
Thanks all for staying informed, and for being a family who has a positive impact for God's glory and the good of His church in the world He has sovereignly placed us.
Please join me in making an extra effort to pursue unity, encourage a family member, and share what God is teaching you with someone else.
Encourage 3, Invite 1, Share With All Who Will Listen!
STAY STRONG, FAITHFUL, COURAGEOUS and FOCUSED!