To God’s Beloved At Cloverdale Baptist Church:
Today is a day where we have been asked by the world around us to look at our past and realize that we live in a sin dominated world, that commits evil actions.
I am particularly heartbroken on this issue as at least some of it involves people who engaged in evil and did did so in the name of God. It is an opportunity for us to shout, “Every Child Matters”, and mean it from the womb on, but also to reflect on how we can make sure that if we name the name of Jesus we represent God well! We show who He has revealed Himself to be in His Word!
We walk worthy of the calling we have received (Ephesians 4:1-2); and live our faith in love. I know in a generation, others will look back (if Jesus has not returned yet) and critique us, but may it be for loving sacrificially those who are different than us, and for valuing all people, regardless of age, ethnicity, or beliefs. I have friends who were personally impacted by residential schools, and their stories horrify me (even the little they are willing to share), so as we are called to remember sin, and a sinful time, may it lead us to not only acknowledging the past, but seeking true reconciliation between man and God through the Gospel.
As a good friend whose father and grandfather were in residential schools reminded me, this is where true hope is found, and the only place where this hope can translate into a life lived in love that is self-sacrificial and authentic. As we are horrified over parts of our national history may it drive us to live in love, and share the Gospel of grace, and seek true and lasting peace and hope.
All Children Matter!
I love that our church family lives this with an incredible Kids Ministry, and a longing for the Gospel to truly impact our lives so we live like Jesus, marked by love (Ephesians 5:1-2).
Reminder: We are seeking to build a CULTURE OF PRAYER, and on Sunday night we will be having our first of the planned monthly prayer meetings. All are welcome for a time of praise, thanksgiving and prayer. Starts at 6:30, and we will seek to keep it to an hour. JOIN US as we seek to display the priority of prayer for the people of God. May CBC become more and more a HOUSE OF PRAYER!
Men’s Breakfast: Saturday at 8:30. Come and join us for a time of Fellowship and growth! There will be bacon, but as important we will also open our bible.
Newcomers Luncheon: All people who have joined us and not been at a Newcomers luncheon are invited to join us this Sunday after service for lunch. It will be a time of Fellowship, and where you can find out more about who we are as a family, and what we believe to be the mission God has called on us to live out!
Church Membership Course
Starting Oct 17th / 9:00 am / Room # TBA
This 6-week course focuses on what it means to be a healthy Christian and explores the doctrinal beliefs of CBC. Come find out more about our church, and why commitment to the local church through membership is so important. Please register at the Ministry Centre.
There is much more going on, make sure to check your bulletin!
Today, as you reflect on the history of Canada and some of the things that mark it in a negative way, choose to live as one who knows the truth of God’s Word, and the wonder of reconciliation found in the Gospel.
Sunday Is Coming:
You will always gain more out of the service if you come praying for the preacher, and for an open heart to learn from God’s Word.
Also helpful if you review the text, and long to be changed by the Spirit as He works through His people for His glory!
Title: Body Building: The Task and Trip God’s Authentic Followers
Text: Ephesians 4:11-16
- Why is knowing the Gospel so key to living in a healthy way with other believers?
- How does Ephesians 2:10 help us with this?
- How does Ephesians 4:1-2 prepare the way for unity in service?
- Why do you think God has chosen to value every one of His followers and give them gifts to build His church?
- Why do you think that the demonic realm, the flesh, and the world attack the true church?
- How can you be a part of defending and building her?
- Where is God calling you to serve His people for their common good?
Privileged to be His Child, and serve His bride
We want the preached word to be the lived Word, so encourage you to interact on these questions with others that God has placed in you sphere of influence!
Growth Group Notes: Message September 26, 2021:
Series: The Church Is Essential: Sermon #3
Sermon Title: The Church Awakening
Text: Ephesians 2-3
Jesus is the Master and owner of the church, bought with His precious blood, and it is plan A, and there is not plan B for His mission in this world. Discuss how Matthew 16 should shape our view of Jesus church, and commitment to her.
We are called to live in a way worthy of the calling we have received, and this involves a deep devotion to God, and a deep love for one another. All of life lived in His presence for His glory in unity with His family, body.
How does this text help us to be EAGER to live in unity with Jesus body?
Anything in these you have applied practically to your life in the last two weeks?
- Read the text: Ephesians 2:1-10
- Why is understanding our sin (wretchedness) essential to applying the Gospel?
- What is grace?
- What is faith?
- What do you think it means to be God’s workmanship?
- Reflect on this personally in your own life as you see the shape He has made you. How can you see this in your life?
- How does this understanding of Ephesians 2:10 help us to be loyal to Him in our confidence?
- Why is victorious Christian living in community always an overflow of the Gospel?
- How can you be sure you are saved by grace, through faith?
- If you are unsure you are saved, what should you do?
- How does Ephesians 2:7 help us to understand how great God’s grace is?
- How can you learn to see others who belong to God, as Hiswork of art?
- Read Ephesians 3:14-21
- How does the prayer of Ephesians 3:14-21 help us to see what matters most in our lives?
- Why do you think that Paul included verses 20-21 following this request?
- How does this prayer, and this passage tie into walking worthy of the calling we have received?
- How can you live as an overflow of your experience of the love of God in a way that displays you are filled to the fullness of God?
- What does this even mean (try to be practical in your answer)?
- How can you align your life with God’s view of His church?
Pray that we would love the bride of Jesus, and display His character in our devotion to her.
Spend time together praying for the church, and her leaders, that we would stay on mission, unified around the mind of Christ and filled with love for Him and one another.